Federal regulations require that selected FAFSA applications complete the verification process. Students may be chosen for verification by the U.S. Department of Education or by Coe College. If your application is selected for verification, you will be notified by the Coe College Office of Financial Aid. You are required to submit supporting documentation as requested. These supporting documents may include, but are not limited to:
- IRS tax transcripts from the preceding tax year or preferably IRS data retrieval through the FAFSA
- verification of untaxed income, including but not limited to:
- pre-tax contributions to qualified pensions (401K, 403B, SEP plans) or IRAs
- tax exempt interest income
- untaxed portions of IRA or pension distributions
- housing, food and other living allowances
- veterans non- education benefits
- other untaxed income not reported such as workers’ compensation, disability, etc.
- money received or paid on your behalf
- family size and the number of family members attending college during the next academic year
- documentation of income and living expenses if the income submitted on the FAFSA appears to be insufficient to support the number of family members reported
The forms our office may ask you to complete as part of the FAFSA verification process are available on Coe.edu and my.mycanvas.romeodiverona.com in PDF format.
FAFSA verification forms available on our website that we may ask you to complete:
- Household Verification Worksheet — Dependent or Independent
- Non-Tax Filer Certification (Parent and/or Student)
Returning students selected for verification may not receive a financial aid offer until all requested documents are received and reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid. Prospective students will receive a preliminary financial aid offer prior to completion of verification. In order to finalize the aid offered, all requested documents should be received by the Office of Financial Aid at least two weeks prior to the end of your award period. Federal Regulations require that students selected for verification must complete the verification process before a financial aid administrator is permitted to make special circumstance adjustments to their FAFSA data.
Your financial aid is subject to change if verification results in a change to your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). During the verification process the Office of Financial Aid will contact you if clarification is needed on any of the data reported on the FAFSA. You will receive a revised financial aid offer if corrections that were made to your FAFSA resulted in changes to your financial aid eligibility.
If you have been granted a tax filing extension by the IRS, or if you are unable to obtain a tax transcript because you were the victim of identity theft, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid for guidance on alternative documents that can meet income verification requirements.
Failure to Submit Verification Documents
Please be aware that failure to submit all requested documents could ultimately result in the suspension of your financial aid application. The deadline for reinstating your financial aid application (by submitting the requested documents) is two weeks prior to the end of your award period. Failure to submit documents may result in the termination of your financial aid application. Current and deposited incoming Coe students can monitor the status of the documents requested and submitted by accessing the Financial Aid tab on my.mycanvas.romeodiverona.com.